It’s hard in the winter to eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits. If you are like me you had vowed to eat a more healthy diet this year. Here it is March, how are you doing so far? I’ll confess I love sugary treats to start my day, coffee cake, French toast, pancakes. Yum, it’s all so comforting. But sugar spikes your blood sugars and leaves you craving more in an hour or two when you crash. That’s where the desire for a mid-morning donut comes from! I was getting a little tired of oatmeal for breakfast. It’s the perfect start to a wintery day but it does get old when the only change is which fruit I’ll put in: apple or banana? So I tried this alternative to sweets. You might want to add this healthy savory to your breakfast rotation. It’s quick and packs a good protein punch to keep you going till lunchtime. And besides you will feel so virtuous eating veggies for breakfast!
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 tsp mayo
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ to ½ tsp lemon zest (or to taste)
- dash of black pepper
- 1 egg, poached or fried
- 1 whole wheat English muffin, toasted
- Wilt the spinach on medium heat in fry pan, about two minutes.
- Chop spinach then place in a small bowl and add mayo, parmesan, lemon zest, and pepper.
- Stir to mix.
- Fry or poach egg.
- Toast muffin.
- To assemble sandwich place spinach mixture on one half of English muffin top with egg and then the other muffin half.
- Serve with fruit and you have enough to keep you going all morning. Enjoy.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”